Friday, June 5, 2020

Aluna Francis of AlunaGeorge Pens Social Media Letter About Racist Experiences in Music Industry

Aluna Francis took to Instagram to shed light on her experiences fighting racism and quality in the music industry.

Aluna Francis of renowned musical duo AlunaGeorge took to Instagram today to pen a letter about her experiences with racism in the music industry.

Francis, who is the venerated voice behind some of the most celebrated songs in dance music, detailed how she feels "practically invisible" despite her significant contributions to music from white collaborators.

“Over the years I’ve accepted my role as the black accessory to white peoples dance music, internally bowing and scraping for these opportunities with no acknowledgement for my contribution because I’m just used to it. I would stand on huge stages singing to thousands of white people, bringing soul, meaning and magic while feeling like an alien," Francis wrote. “Deep down I know dance music isn’t white music - it’s black music that has been white washed for so long that we forgot."

Francis, who recently released a new single in conjunction with the announcement that she is embarking on a solo career, closed her post calling for the same support given to her white collaborators in the past.

"Im changing that now with this solo project and I want the same people in the music industry who supported the artists I leant my voice to to step up and support me as a black woman at the cutting edge of dance music," she continued.

You can read Aluna Francis' post in full below.

FOLLOW ALUNA:

Instagram: instagram.com/alunaaa/
Twitter: twitter.com/alunaaa
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/aluna



source https://edm.com/news/aluna-instagram-letter-racist-experiences-in-music-industry

from Mad Mohawk Films https://ift.tt/2Y8gI4a
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment